19 August 2012

Cheesy-Checkered (Almost) Hawaiian Frittata

Okay, so now let's backtrack to two or three days before yesterday. You know, before there were leftovers that I took for those beef barbacoa tostadas.

Cheesy-Checkered (Almost) Hawaiian Frittata


If you haven't noticed yet, I love eggs.


If you add egg to something, I will most likely try it.


The same goes with pineapple. So you know I couldn't pass up the opportunity to combine two of my favorite things.

What I Used:

~ 1 Whole egg
~ 3 Egg whites
~ 2-3 Organic bella mushrooms, somewhat thickly sliced
~ 1/2 Cup white onion, chopped (Red onion would be good, too!)
~ 1/8-1/4 Cup fresh pineapple chunks 
~ 1/4-1/2 Cup (Depending on how much you like spinach) Organic baby spinach
~ 1 stick "swirl" (cheddar and mozzarella) low-sodium string cheese stick
~ Pepper to taste

Yield: Makes about 2-4 servings.


What I Did:
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Drizzle a little olive oil onto a pan and heat over medium to medium-high heat. Add the onions and sauté until they begin to brown (just slightly).
  3. Add the mushrooms and pineapple and cook for 2 to 3 more minutes.
  4. While the veggies (and pineapple) are cooking, chop up the string cheese into about 1/4 inch slices.
  5. Whisk the eggs slightly with a fork and add them to the pan. When you see the edges start to set, layer the spinach on top, add the cheese, and sprinkle with black pepper, if desired.
  6. Put into oven and bake or broil until the egg is completely cooked through. This shouldn't be more than 10 minutes or so.
Enjoy!

I accidentally overcooked it a little because I got distracted and almost forgot about it (oops!), but it still tasted pretty good! The sweet pineappley flavor added a refreshing change to what I normally eat in eggs, and the combination of the cheese and pineapple created a nice duo. 


And now onto dinner, from...the day after the pineapple goodness above? 

(Truer) Beef Barbacoa Tostadas

Unlike the aforementioned beef barbacoa tostadas I made yesterday, these tostadas (courtesy of my mother :) ) were probably truer to real tostadas. In this dish, the tortillas were actually crisped first in the pan, so the tortillas didn't fall apart as easily as they did yesterday.

Onto the corn tortillas, I used doctored up refried beans (tomato and season-"infused"), string cheese (we didn't have any other cheese available at the time ;) ), salsa, a poached egg, beef barbacoa, and cilantro. Plus, I squeezed some fresh lime juice on top. 

Can you say yum?! Thanks, Mom, for the flavorful meal!


Now off to catch some Zzzs!

No comments:

Post a Comment