08 February 2014

Crock-Pot Banana Bread Breakfast Quinoa

Good morning!

I can't believe I'm already four weeks into my dietetic internship!  I only have one week left of my foodservice/management rotation!  (Woohoo!  It's been interesting, but I already knew before I started this DI that foodservice is not where I want to be in the future, so...more on this later!)

The morning began with a brisk (aka...It's 8 degrees outside I want to go back inside where it's warm) 4 mile run.  I think I was feeling spoiled earlier in the week when the weather was in the 20s and 30s, so I thought hey, no biggie that it's in the single digits.  But alas, I'm sure you get the picture. ;) (So why did I choose to go up north again?)  At least the shower I took felt glorious!

By the way, if you are interested in what I'm doing to train for the half marathon I'm doing in April, take a look at my Weekly Exercise Log!  Since I decided a little late in the game to do this half, I don't have as much time as I'd like to prepare, but nine weeks is still decent!

Now on to food...

So you know how everyone is big into the crock-pot meals? I decided to jump on that bandwagon, breakfast style!

You may remember my Zucchini & Asiago Quinoa post, so you know I love quinoa! But quinoa for breakfast? I had seen things on Pinterest floating around about "sweet" dishes involving quinoa, but I never really got around to trying it. Thinking about how nice it would be to just wake up to breakfast already made, however, especially on a morning where I have to get at 4 AM, finally convinced me to give it a go! So, here is my first (quite delicious!) take on quinoa for breakfast!

Crock-Pot Banana Bread Breakfast Quinoa 

*I used a mini crock-pot, but if you use a full-sized one, you may want to double the recipe.

Ingredients

- 1/2 cup Quinoa
- 1 cup Vanilla almond milk
- 1 cup Water
- Splash of fat free dairy milk, optional
- A few shakes of cinnamon
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- Sprinkle with walnuts or pecans, if desired!

*Remember to rinse your quinoa really well before use!!

Simply combine all ingredients in the crock-pot and cook on low for 3-4 hours. If you doubled the recipe in a full-sized pot, cook for 5-6 hours.


Yield: Made about 4 servings for me.


Enjoy waking up to this heavenly scent!
 You may also like:

http://hugsandkiwis.blogspot.com/2012/08/creamy-peanut-butter-banana-oatmeal.html








http://hugsandkiwis.blogspot.com/2012/08/italian-infused-tomato-lentil-soup.html 

No comments:

Post a Comment